5 minutes with the Oz Beauty Expert
With a decade of experience as a makeup artist, working around the world, on film sets and for the royal family, Bonnie Gillies is an expert in her field.
It’s only right she has called her successful blog Oz Beauty Expert, offering tips, how tos, opinions and reviews on the latest products as well as beauty and health news.
She’s a woman in the know and is coming to Canberra this weekend for a masterclass on refreshing your makeup.
I was lucky enough to get some of the beauty boss’ precious time and she sure is inspiring.
What drew you to beauty and makeup and has kept you in the industry for so long?
I always wanted to be a makeup artist, since I was a child. I’ve always been an artist, drawer and painter and I loved beautifying people. I’m an ambitious and persistent person and I think that accounts for the longevity of my career in this business. You have to be persistent and determined.
Deep down though my passion is for creativity, empowering women and helping them shine by teaching them how to use makeup and beauty.
You’ve worked on movies, for magazines and the royal family - do you ever pinch yourself, having such a successful career so far?
I just feel really lucky. I would do what I do even if I didn’t get paid. I genuinely love it. I wasn’t ever going to give up until I’d achieved what I wanted.
You also have a Youtube channel, your own blog, do makeup, are a beauty commentator - how do you fit it all in?
It’s a constant juggling act. I’m also a mum to 7 and 9 year olds. Through the week I’m very busy, but I keep weekends free for family time.
I have a great manager and a couple of beauty writers who help me with everything.
What do you do to relax and recharge?
On weekends I love to have dinner with friends, go to my kids sporting games and spend the weekend with my family. I kind of switch of over Saturday and Sunday which is nice. I also try to fit in exercise as much as possible.
What three pieces of advice do you have for women when it comes to their beauty routines?
- Refresh! If you’ve been doing the same routine for more than 3 years it’s time to learn new techniques and refresh your routine.
- Be open to learning new techniques and using new products.
- Make the effort. Many women neglect themselves and don’t bother with much makeup or doing their hair. Spend the little bit of extra time - do your makeup, style your hair and you will feel a million dollars. It sounds shallow, but honestly doing your makeup and looking great will make you feel great and boost your confidence.
What are the 5 beauty products you can’t live without?
- My GHD
- Lanolips golden ointment (I actually think I'm addicted)
- Cosmedix enzyme mask
- Ultraceuticals matte moisturiser 50+
- Bioderma micellar water
You’re coming to Canberra to do a masterclass - what can we expect?
Tips on refreshing and modernising your look, basic dos and don’ts of makeup and creating a beautiful soft statement eye.
You can still secure yourself a ticket for the masterclass here.