The 5 products that saved my skin this Winter
This Winter has been particularly horrible to my skin. The cold temperatures, the icy wind and the lack of moisture in the air have not left it in peak condition.
This time of year is not known to be beauty-friendly. Skin is a little more dull because it’s not as humid and we’re not producing as much oil - this is what we always have to prepare for as the mercury drops.
Think of it as the doomsday bunker filled with cans and batteries, but it’s an arsenal or creams and lotions.
Here are the five products that were my skin saviours this Winter.
1. Clarins hand and nail treatment cream. My hands suffer the most in the cold. They get dry and cracked and there are some days I wanted to wear gloves all day. Clarins protects against the sun, cold and water, hydrates, minimises the appearance of dark spots and looks after our nails which can also look a little worse for wear in Winter.
2. Go To exfoliating swipeys. Exfoliating removes the dead skin cells that makes skin look dull and as unappealing as the cold. It also helps the moisturising products we use penetrate better to improve the appearance of our skin. These swipeys are single use and contain lactic acid and essential oils to exfoliate and hydrate.
3. Mecca super screen. If you know me, you know how obsessed I am with sun protection. I actually use this all year round because we have to be sun smart 365 days a year. It’s also moisturising and hydrating and doesn’t leave an oily film on the surface of your skin. It doesn’t affect how your makeup goes on and stays on. Sunscreen is what protects us from Cancer and keeps wrinkles and pigmentation at bay.
4. I lather myself in Nivea moisturiser and I go for the one that tightens the skin too because my skin will be better off. A key ingredient in this moisturiser is Q10 which we actually stop producing as we get older. It works as an antioxidant fighting free radicals and environmental pollutants that damage the cells in our skin. Q10 helps repair those damaged cells and stimulates cell renewal to improve the appearance of our skin. It also absorbs well and of course moisturises.
5. The final one which is more haircare than skin care is Brazilian blowout Acai deep conditioning mask. We need to look after our locks as much as our skin for exactly the same reasons - our hair gets dry, brittle and breaks when we don’t look after it. The hair mask is pretty intense and rich, hydrating and paying close attention to soothing the cuticle which is where repair begins. Leave it in for around 20 minutes. I sleep in it for a little something extra.
If you're over the cold, this is great news for you. We have just over a month left of Winter.
August 31 is the official end date for the cold times and we can look forward to warmer days and better skin.
If you have any questions about any of the products I use or have a Winter skin champion of your own, please share your secret with me.